Poll

What type of alliance do you want to be in?

WILD/MIST - Larger, more "highend"
1 (20%)
MYTH - Smaller, more casual
4 (80%)
Neither (look for a new alliance)
0 (0%)
No Alliance
0 (0%)
Don't know/Doesn't matter
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: the future of the alliance  (Read 4506 times)

Offline Lurker

• Undead Skeleton
  • Echo Mending
the future of the alliance
« on: May 01, 2008, 08:11:29 PM »
WILD and MIST leaders have expressed an interest in taking over the alliance, which became starting a new alliance because they felt they wanted more activity. The smaller guilds in the alliance are currently sticking with MYTH. I have not decided

The argument isn't with the leaders but with playing style. The larger guilds are craving more active, event-based guilds, that also doing more pvp. The smaller guilds are more casual--happy with the way the alliance has always been.

I want to open up this discussion to everyone in this guild. What type of alliance do you want to be in? Before you rush your decision, consider the requirement of all of them.

Larger - There'll be more activity, and likely easier to find groups. However, it is often unspoken in this type of alliance that all guilds must regularly participate.

Smaller - Less groups going and fewer events but a smaller alliance makes it easier to get to know others.

Neither - (This is a dozy!). This is the hardest option. Picking this means searching for a new alliance to suit our needs. Alliance are very difficult to find and maintain. However,  you're free to choose this if you think it is best

No Alliance - This is equally hard. If you're comfortable without an alliance. This afford a lot of flexibilitly but severely limits the players available to play with

Don't know/Doesn't Matter - On the fence? I still want to know what you think :P
-----
No matter what you choose, I would like a follow up post. Whatever decision you make will also affect the future of our guild in the types of people we recruit, and how we run it
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 08:14:50 PM by Lurker »
Generic Signature

Offline Hal

• Guild Officer
Re: the future of the alliance
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 04:33:41 PM »
My first thought is that a larger alliance is nice for more people.  Guild-alliance based events-Nice.  However, there is only so many people in a party. (I believe twelve is the case with the Factions elite areas).  I have done events where there are multiple groups going in, still there is a limit to party size.

I, however, am quite happy with the casual thing.  I only have much time to play.  Heck, I need to walk away from the computer  for half an hour while in a mission sometimes.   I do not want to subject my fellow guildmates or players to that waiting.  Hence my casual voice.

Growing a guild is hard enough... growing an alliance is harder.

I am on the fence I have not voted yet, but leaning towards staying with MYTH.  I think we should look at options....  Check into other alliances, see if there is a better fit. 

:-X I should use the alliance chat more often.   :officer:

Any decision will require some work, if we go to a bigger alliance, we would need to participate more.  Therefore   we will need more members (or few members that are on a lot).

I am very old school, I remember before there was an alliance.  PUGS FTL.  I created a monk right before the great monk strike of THK.  MY old guild was thrilled that they had a monk.

I am on the fence.  I have been interested in PvP but yet you need rank to play. And only certain build FTW.  I know this is my bias but I have seen way too much PVP vs PVE elitism.

I really need to be on more and participate.

EDIT:
  BY the way a big thanks to Omega for all the hard work he has done with this site.  I know we said it before, but a thanks again.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 04:36:13 PM by Hal »
-Happy Hunting

Offline Alfrond

• Noble Gamer
  • Sand Worm
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 01:48:41 PM »
I'm usually pretty busy with real life, so being in a more casual alliance works better for me. Therefore, I voted for MYTH. I really enjoy events, but time constraints keep me from being in them all. However, I would be okay if many of you wanted to go the more active WILD/MIST route. I can certainly see the benefits of a larger and more active alliance. I'm perfectly happy with our alliance now, but I wouldn't complain if things changed either.

Offline Ariena

• [NH] Guild
  • Spellbreaker
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 06:29:31 PM »
I'm torn as well on the issue, I love the alliance we're currently in and the people in the other guilds.  It's frustrating, however, that we rarely do any high-end PvE and have done only one PvP event as far as I can remember.  I'm personally going for the KoaBD title, and my long-term PvP goal is to hold Halls.  As far as I can tell, most of the guild does not echo my feelings in this matter and just plays to unwind from time to time (which I do enjoy as well =D).

I hope I'm correct when I say most of our guild would prefer to remain with MYTH and the other American guilds in our present alliance.  This decision is extremely difficult for me because I love our guild and its members, which is why I've always done my best to help Moon lead as best I could.  I enjoy signing on and talking to people for a couple minutes before going anywhere in-game.  I enjoy the laid-back atmosphere which helps me to relax and get away from the world, if only for a while.

If the guild remains with MYTH, players such as myself and Hal will miss out on all the great WILD alliance events, however, at the same time if BG moves with WILD a lot of nice in-game friendships will fade away.  I'd like to participate in more high-end PvE and do more guild PvP stuff, but maybe the solution is to just get a group of dedicated people within the new MYTH alliance?  The alliance would retain its casual and laid-back atmosphere, but the 8-12 dedicated people could easily run events on a regular basis.  I'm curious to see how many people would be willing to do this, I'd love to head such a project.

In response to Hal's final comment, I'd love to do some PvP with you and anyone else who is interested in learning or just trying it out.  I have experience in getting into good unranked groups for Halls =D
New Horizon Guild Leader
Guru Explorer's League Moderator

I miss you guys!

Offline Ariena

• [NH] Guild
  • Spellbreaker
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2008, 06:43:47 PM »
I spoke with Kasumi, and he asked me to convey his feelings here:

Kasumi votes for moving, he would like the increased opportunity from WILD and MIST for high-end PvE and PvP.
New Horizon Guild Leader
Guru Explorer's League Moderator

I miss you guys!

Offline Omega

• Webmasta'
  • Administrator
  • CadimusNET is a go
    • This is My site :)
  • Main GW2 Character: Baneblade Blackclaw
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2008, 08:39:42 PM »
I generally don't care. If it is what most people in the guild want, then go for it. Though I haven't voted on the poll yet.

However I do care if it will change the guild rules....though it shouldn't be anything to worry about if all that happens is moving.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 08:42:17 PM by Omega X »
Webmaster of CadimusNET
Omega's Blog
DeviantART Gallery
Image Galleries: Picasa - Flickr - Imageshack

Offline MagusRex

• Advisor
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2008, 10:26:05 PM »
I voted for staying with the current MYTH alliance.  I wouldn?t mind being in a more active alliance with WILD and MIST but I personally don?t think I could dedicate the proper amount of time for do high-end PvE or PvP.  

I?m on for an hour or two most nights but I usually don't get on until 11:00pm or later.  If I get on earlier, there is a good chance that I will be interrupted and have to leave for an 1/2 hour or more.  I wouldn't want someone to bail on me while I'm on a mission and I don?t want to do that to someone else.  

Don?t take me wrong, but I am interested in trying PvP and high-end PvE.  I?ve like doing Fort Aspenwood and have done a few AB a while ago.  Unfortunately for me, I would usually have to finish in 2 hrs or less in most situations.  

Edit:
I'm not opposed to moving if that's what people want but I really won't be able to change my active playing times.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 09:22:55 AM by MagusRex »

Offline Lurker

• Undead Skeleton
  • Echo Mending
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2008, 12:16:20 PM »
it looks like the majority of opinions is swayed towards myth but I will leave this open for another 2 weeks or so if anyone else has a different view. Feel free to voice it, it's your guild too ;)
Generic Signature

Offline Forbes

• GW2 materials collector
  • Advisor
  • Look me up on Steam!
  • Main GW2 Character: Little Forbes
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 09:17:03 PM »
I didn't vote either, mostly because I don't consider myself active enough that I really should try to influence things one way or the other.  I do however fall into the only a few hours at time crowd (my really active days are well in the past), and I echo Magus's statement on not wanting to bail on my guildmates  in the middle of high-end missions especially.  Though there is appeal in getting more events even smaller ones to pariticipate in from time to time, but you definitely have to have enough dedicated people to do it, one or two isn't enough.

If anyone was considering the another alliance route, we could always check out the alliance that Jim and crew went to, they were always very friendly and good spirited people while also being hard-core on the high-end stuff.

When push comes to shove, the monk is always right. - Forbes
The key to happiness is a bad memory - fortune cookie

Steam Profile:http://steamcommunity.com/id/forbesx

Offline jim

• easily entertained
  • You Gain a skill point (AGAIN)
    • myspace GW page
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 03:17:00 PM »
wow i just popped by to see how my old guild was doing and then i saw Forbes mention us, lol.

I would love to have you guys in our alliance and i think you'd fit in but the rules thing would be an issue (assuming you still have the same rules).  We dont have any crazy rules just less rules but more expectations.  basically if ppl cant follow the "We are all friends or will be so treat each other as such" then we dont want them in our guild/alliance.  We are also luxon (you were kurz i believe) and also our alliance is almost full (but not completely full).  Not that we have tons of ppl just a group of smaller guilds.  But we do still have room so give a shout if you wanna be turncoats and switch to luxons, LOL.  We do have lots of PVE stuff going on but we are also laid back.  Basically, if your social and nice we'll love the crap out of you :D

My 2 cents (back on topic):
there are good things about more active alliances and bad things

good:  you can still chill and do your own thing in an active alliance, some ppl will embrace the activity and some will simply spectate and sit back, it makes recruiting easier if you have a solid alliance, theres generally more features available (TS/vent, websites, forums, build sharing, tips, give aways, etc), and you can learn a lot from others that are more active.

bad:  in a larger alliance there are generally more problems and more problem ppl (of course this is solved with careful recruiting but let be honest, not all guilds have great recruiting practices), and you might feel your voice isnt heard in a bigger alliance.

just try to agree on what kind of alliance you want and youll be good to go :D

My p.o.v. on alliances: i prefer lots of activity but small in size, then you get to group up with a lot of the same ppl and it just makes the GWing lots of fun.

EDIT: dont worry, i didnt vote in your poll
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 03:18:55 PM by jim »
your neighborly friend from [EYE]